We’re every week away from the launch of the following season of Future 2 , a season earlier than the launch of Lightfall , the sport’s subsequent growth. There’s been a whole lot of discuss burnout with Future these days, and seasonal mannequin iterations, however performing some math, primarily based on what we find out about Bungie’s plans, we’re probably slightly over midway by means of Future 2’s potential lifespan.
Briefly, Future 2 will apparently exist in at the very least three installments.
Stage 1: The Pink Conflict/Deserted Sagawhich I assume you can name the life and loss of life of Cade-6.
Stage 2: The Story of Gentle and Darkness, which Bungie says begins with Shadowkeep and the invention of the Pyramid of the Moon, and ends with The Remaining Form . None of those expansions will probably be sunsets anymore.
Stage 3: A brand new Future 2 epic. . . . Bungie has particularly acknowledged that Future 2, not Future normally, will proceed on the sunshine and darkish previous, hinting at yet another “story.” My interpretation that “a saga” is perhaps at the very least three extra expansions to kind a trilogy, and if that’s the case, it could produce a calendar for Future 2 content material that may indicate that we’re across the midway level of Future 2’s life as a sport
- Pink Conflict (Vanilla) – September 2017
- Deserted – September 2018
- Shadowkeeper – October
- Past the Gentle – November
- The Witch Queen – February 2022
- Gentle – February 2023
- Remaining form – February 2024
- New Saga Growth 1 – February 2025
- New Saga Growth 2 – February 2026
- New Saga Growth 3 – February 2027
So, that may be a couple of decade of Future 2 alone, assuming expansions return to launch on an annual cadence relatively than delay (as has occurred just a few occasions prior to now). My guess can also be that the tip of it will roughly coincide with the arrival of the brand new technology of Xbox and PlayStation consoles. Each techniques got here out within the fall of 2020 and will probably be seven years outdated within the fall of 2027, simply as Future 2 will theoretically full this new saga. So in the event that they find yourself pulling the set off and launching Future 3 or dropping the numbering system completely and transferring to a brand new sport/new engine/and many others, that timing will probably be lined up.
However there are two most important considerations I’ve if that is in truth the plan.
1) Season/growth mannequin. If it is beginning to really feel repetitive after actually, simply the final 4 years or so with how issues are structured, can the sport final the remainder of it 5 Years with out some sort of critical jolt to content material supply? Will we nonetheless be filling three rows of seven improve containers and getting momentary mods and light-weight ranges in artifacts 3-4 years from now? Will we ever see actually large modifications on this system?
2) The second concern is on the technical finish, the place Future 2 is already beginning to present its age in a number of methods. Whereas sure, there have been fixes and engine updates, Future 2 nonetheless seems like a sport that continually feels prefer it’s falling aside on the seams, whether or not it’s tower delays or seasons beginning with too many errors. I fear about what 4-5 years from the identical Future 2 core framework will appear to be.
Perhaps I’ll take a 12 months or two off, however except Bungie drastically modifications what they’ve mentioned, we should always head roughly to this schedule, and one other half decade of Future 2 content material, at the very least. I would like the sport to develop and survive, however I ponder if it was meant to reside this lengthy in its present kind, given the issues we’ve already seen lately.
Comply with me on Fb on Twitter. YouTube. Fb and Instagram. . . . Subscribe to my free weekly content material aggregator e-newsletter, God Rolls. . . .
Decide up my science fiction novels the. Herokiller sequence and Earth-born shadows. . . .